LadyLoki Collar - Tutorial/process diary
Finished collar: http://anachronisminaction.tumblr.com/post/89984844404/decorative-armor-collar-made-for-my-lady-loki
Whole Costume: http://anachronisminaction.tumblr.com/post/91103284009/lady-loki-costume-for-the-labyrinth-of-jareth
1- I started by cutting out a pattern in craft foam and trying it on to get a rough shape to start with. I used one of my halter tops as a the starting point: https://www.facebook.com/Anachronism.In.Action/photos/a.269392913112439.80726.269295446455519/590989730952754/?type=3&theater I then cut the pieces out in worbla, and attached the shoulders and collar together.
2- Recruiting the help of a friend, we began to shape the collar to my torso. Going section by section, I would hold the collar and heat it up, wait a second for it to cool then put it on. My friend would then help me hold it in place until it cooled and hardened again. I wore a t-shirt over my corset to protect both my skin and the garment.
3- (not shown) Once we had it shaped, my friend marked out the edge of the corset on the worbla, and I cut it down to 1” bellow that line. I also cut and attached the shoulder Flanges.
4- I began to design and draw on the snake skin pattern. I found the basic design by googling “snake skin stencil” then blowing up the image. I used tracing paper and a soft pencil to transfer the design. Once I had everything laid out nicely, I went over it in pen just in case the pencil rubbed off.
5- I used an engraving tool ( This exact one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Wood-Burning-Crafting-Tool-5-in-1-Leather-crafts-Cutting-Fushing-Darice-/141320784036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e76008a4) with the knife tip to cut/burn out the snakeskin. There will be smoke, so either do this part outside or wear a respirator (or both!) and make sure your canisters are for fumes, not particles like a dust mask etc. Save those for sanding.
6- Added little strips for some more detail, making the different sections look more intentional. I also at this point, used a hole pun to make the lacing holes at the center back.
7- I tried the collar on with the corset to make sure everything was fitting, and made little tweaks to various parts to make then a little better.
8- I applied 3 layers of Gesso (Sanding in-between) before I ran out and used some spray primer. This ended up being a mixed blessing as there was something wrong with the can and after a little use it started spewing powered paint. I ended up having to do extra sanding to get it off, but decided to leave it on the snakeskin part of the collar because I thought it added a nice textural contrast.
9- I painted the collar using the same method as the other parts of my look costume. I started with two coats of metallic acrylic paint (jacquard lumiere) followed by a layer of rub’n’buff. I used dry brushing, and watered down acrylic in black to add some shadows. The final step was a few coats of satin finish sealer (one of modpodge, two of clear kryolan spraypaint)
10- To finish the collar, I lined the neck, shoulder, and edges in moleskin for comport. I also painted a satin ribbon antique gold with some fabric paint to lace the back closed; because it seemed easier than going to the store again :)
I hope you enjoyed seeing my process for making the collar. If you try anything similar, be sure to send me pictures!
CHEAP Black to Red DIY Ombre Tights Tutorial In Under 1 Hour!
I needed ombre tights for RWBY’s Ruby Rose and I didn’t wanna go online and buy like a freaking $39 tights… Sooo here’s a tutorial for tights that was under $10 :) And the best thing, besides how cheap it is, is that you can do it in any color you want :D
- 1 pair of white tights (got mine at Target for $5)
- 1 box of 8oz scarlet red RIT dye powder
- 1 box of 8oz black RIT dye powder
- (both of the dyes were from Michaels with a 50% off coupon so it was about $2.50 for BOTH)
- rubber gloves
- something to stir your tights with that you don’t care about like wooden chopsticks, plastic knife, etc.
- bucket & bathtub OR sink (depends on how messy you’re allowed to be cause the dye WILL stain if you don’t do anything about it)
- cleaning supplies like Clorox bleach or something for your tub/sink (honestly I don’t care who you are, CLEAN UP after yourself… No one wants to walk into a restroom where the shower/sink is all colored up…)
- Try to follow the directions on the RIT dye box as much as possible if you can. First wet your tights with hot water. Keep that to the side for now.
- I filled my bucket with hot water up to about where my tights could float freely pretty well. Then I was lazy and didn’t want to figure out how much dye to put in, so I just poured in the whole red packet in LOL. Also keep in mind to put your bucket in the bathtub, cause dye could splash around.***
- I put my tights in and stirred that sucker for 10 minutes straight. After 10 minutes were up I rinsed my tights with hot water gradually making it cold water until the water ran mostly clean.
- Now for the ombre part. Mark off where you want your ombre to start by tying a knot.
- Clean your bucket and repeat steps 1-2 with your other color.
- Dunk your tights in to a little bit under where your knot is. Now this the tricky part to explain. while your hold your tights in one hand keep dunking your tights in and out (pics 3-4) so that the dye doesn’t stay in one place the whole time. With your other hand gently squeeze out the dye from under your knot, so once again the dye doesn’t just settle there. Do this whole process for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes were up rinse like how you did last time.
- Let them dry :)
I can’t tell you how this will wash in the washing machine cause I haven’t tried it myself. To be honest I might just hand wash them though to be safe and so the colors don’t get too crazy.
Note: ***Start with the lighter color, the darker color over the lighter color will make it easier to color as well. If you’re doing something where the hues are similar or going from white to a color, I would suggest you dunk your first color a little above where the second color would go (so you start from step 6 and repeat for second color)
I hope that was comprehensible :x If not just send an ask and I’ll be glad to help :D
He puts the book between his teeth, but he doesn’t give it the power to make him cry.
Make John Green find the thing.